Friday, December 19, 2008

Getting ready to get started!

This is exciting! I've wanted to have a vegetable garden for several years, but never got around to it. This past year, I've put my mind to it. I've been composting since May and I've been collecting materials to help me with my project. I don't know if it'll work, but I'm betting it's going to be as easy as everyone says. I'm just about ready to put my plan in action! My goal is to have a productive garden in my backyard that requires minimal effort to maintain.

My plan:

  • Build raised beds
  • Utilize companion planting
  • Plant in compost and/or manure
  • Avoid the use of any chemicals (pesticides, fertilizers, etc)
  • Spend as little cash as possible
  • Enjoy the fruits of my labor!
I'll post here from start to finish. If this is easy enough, maybe other people will be inspired to try it for themselves.

Here's what the barren spot in my yard looks like to start with. The previous owner of our home had a hottub here, nestled in between the orange and pink grapefruit trees. There's been nothing there since, so we'll see what crops up!

Oh, by the way, I've never blogged before, either!

0 comments: